1. Before you enter a pool, lake, ocean, or any body of water, drench your hair with water and apply a coat of conditioner to the hair. This water/conditioner mixture will fill up the gaps in hair shaft and act as a barrier from the chlorinated water. Follow up with a little club soda; it makes for a good post-pool rinse. Wear a swim cap as often as possible. Although most people hate wearing them for many reasons – uncomfortable, unattractive, or it never stays on, etc. – using a cap, that securely protects the hair, is always the best option.
2. If there is a time to be extra gentle with your hair, it is now. Treat your hair like a fine silk blouse. Purchase a gentle hydrating shampoo. ALWAYS follow up with a rich conditioner. Shampoo gently – massage a small amount of shampoo into scalp, rinse well. Use a quality conditioner with moisturizing ingredients to deep condition your hair on a weekly basis during the summer. Look for ingredients such as wheat germ, jojoba oil, coconut oil, silk amino acids, etc.
3. Over-shampooing and under-conditioning is a common culprit to dry and frizzy hair – especially in the summer months. Shampooing more than 1x a week is not recommended. On “shampoo-less” days, simply do a conditioning rinse – rinse your hair to remove styling products (this is when using the right products that are water soluble come in). Apply an ample amount of your favorite conditioner, comb through, rinse, and proceed with styling. Doing so will pump much needed moisture back into your hair without stripping away essential nutrients, rinse away unnecessary dirt and oil, and give it a fresh, clean start.
4. Avoid products that contain synthetic oils such as mineral and/or petrolatum oil, as they further dehydrate hair. Also avoid products that contain drying alcohol, such as hair spray, mousse and some gels. Instead, opt for a finishing lotion.
5. Pay special attention to the ends of your hair; after all, they are the oldest part of the hair. Mix a bit of a conditioner with a natural oil, apply, and comb through ends; leave in for extra protection.
6. Hydrate your curls DAILY…this is very important! It softens the hair, eases comb ability, moisturizes and conditions, preps it for the next step, and leaves a little goodness behind. Use this daily, under any styling product you use for your hair. Consider this “underwear” for the hair.